8.28.2011

These Days...

I can count on several things to make the corners of my mouth twinge and stretch up, exposing my teeth and making what is otherwise known as a smile. In no particular order they are:

- A trip to the Chocolate Lounge downtown. Lavender Honey Truffle? Yes, please. Chocolate dipped shortbread cookie? I'd love one; thanks. Maple liquid truffle? Alright, alright...don't twist my arm. I'll have one! Sheesh. Seriously, though, this place is my happy place. It is my heaven. You used to always be able to count on the Chocolate Lounge to be a quiet little shop to read, sample some wonderful chocolate, or catch up with a friend. Now it's one of the most popular places to go downtown for both locals and tourists. Even with a line that snakes through the first level dining room, out the door, and up the sidewalk...it is worth it every.single.time.

- Cool, crip mornings that whisper the beginning of the end of summer. I think my little Katie soul can sense the change of the seasons (and the time of the Virgo!) and it's all I can do to not rush outside with a those orange glowstick things and wave autumn on in for a safe, smooth landing. Fall means no more shorts and sticky weather. No more not wanting to cook or bake for fear of passing out in my un-airconditioned home because I used the stovetop or oven. No more sleeping on top of my bed covered only with the skimpiest blanket I can find (and still sweating). Goodbye, summer. I will not be sorry to see you go. I want my sweaters and hot coffee and hot tea and blankets and wooly socks. Oh, and I want to sleep under my comforter again. So, goodbye...until we are forced to meet again.

- The layout of my new bedroom. I was feeling awfully antsy recently and wanted--no, needed to change something. Changing my nail polish wasn't enough. I needed something more. Getting a haircut was a pretty good idea, but it was Sunday and I've been saying I want to grow my hair out, plus my former stylist/hair whisperer moved to another salong (that I can't afford!). And then I knew: I'll change my furniture around. Lord Almighty, it has made such a huge difference. I have so much more space to move around in now. It was a truly satisfying Sunday afternoon project that made a big difference in my mood.

- All of the greenery in my room! I have 3 plants in my bedroom, plus a cute terrarium inside a lightbulb! I just love having the plants in my room. Why have I never had them before? Sure, I tend to kill anything I put in a pot and neglect put out for decoration, but these plants are very low maintenance and I just love them. Here's my new lil' early birthday present terrarium:
- Keeping a journal again. Whether I felt like I was too busy or put too much pressure on myself or judged the outcome, I let journaling go. I'd pick it up now and then, feeling a sense of urgency to write something, but would then feel disappointed when I reread it and wasn't bowled over by my literary genius. I'd tell myself that I was too busy and that the writing would be bad anyways, so why bother. Well I should bother because I love it--not because I'm trying to win an award or save someone's life with my words. That's all ego and it's bologna. I should do it because I love it and that's that. And so I am. And it's been nice carrying around a journal again.

You know, I could go on and on. Tonight I have an endless number of things on my Smile List (my scarves, my kitty--duh, planning my future, photography, camera daydream shopping, yadda yadda), but I'll stop now. It's 10:05 and I'm going to do my weary body a favor and go to bed early. Well, I might watch an episode of Golden Girls, but THEN I'm going to sleep.

Goodnight, nonexistant readers. Sleep tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment